What are Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers are wafer-thin shells made from either porcelain or a resin composite. They bond to the front surfaces of teeth to improve the tooth’s shape, colour, size, and alignment.
Dental veneers can assist in creating a straight, symmetrical, white smile. They can be an ideal solution for people wanting to improve the appearance of:
- Discoloured teeth due to root canal treatment.
- Stains from tetracycline or other drugs, excessive fluoride or the presence of large resin fillings.
- Worn down, chipped or broken teeth.
- Misaligned, uneven or irregularly shaped teeth.
- Teeth with gaps between them.
Dental veneers look like your own tooth enamel to create a natural looking smile. They are made from a biocompatible material that gum tissue usually tolerates well and you can clean them in the same way as your own teeth. Properly maintained, they will last you for many years.
Benefits of veneers
Veneers are a sometimes an alternative to orthodontics. Misaligned teeth can be aligned by using dental veneers to mask the irregularities. Porcelain veneers will also help with staining or discolouration of natural teeth and leaving you with a natural tooth appearance. Porcelain is a stain resistant material that is tolerated by gum tissue very well.
What is the procedure for getting Dental Veneers
Getting veneers usually takes 3 visits.
- First visit – Diagnosis and treatment planning – Our dentists will do a thorough examination to see your suitability for dental veneers. We will then chat about treatment your outcomes and expectations and also your financial commitment. At this appointment, your dentist may take x-rays, photos and impressions to get a better understanding of your needs.
- Second visit – Preparation of teeth – Your dentist will start by discussing the need for anaesthetic. In some cases this is not necessary. Your dentist will remove a very thin layer of enamel to allow the porcelain veneer to sit flush with the tooth root and just below the gum. An impression will then be taken of your teeth and will be sent to our trusted lab to start the construction of your veneer.
- Third visit – Inserting your veneers – your teeth will be cleaned and polished before inserting your veneers. Your dentist will ensure that the fit, colour and appearance of your tooth is perfect before permanently cementing your dental veneer. Any excess cement will be removed and photos of your new smile will be taken.
How long do dental veneers last?
With great oral hygiene and regular dental check-up with your dentist, dental veneers can last between 7-15 years.
What are the alternatives to dental veneers?
Yes, composite (white filling material) and dental crowns are alternatives for dental veneers. Dental Veneers is the intermediate treatment.
How much do Dental Veneers cost?
Porcelain Dental Veneer prices range from $900 to $1200 at Casey Smiles Dental. The cost varies due to quantity, complexity and lab costs. We will discuss the costs involved with you at your first visit.