Feeling anxious before a dental appointment? You’re not alone. Many people avoid dental assessments and treatments altogether out of fear. And from those that do visit a dentist, most spend hours agonising over their upcoming appointment. Sedation dentistry or sleep dentistry is an option often used in such cases wherein the patient is sedated during the treatment to reduce their anxiety and make the procedure convenient overall.
The Benefits of Sedation or Sleep Dentistry in Melbourne
Sedation dentistry offers a number of benefits that make dental procedures easier for both the patient and the dentist carrying out the treatment. Some of these benefits include:
- Reduced anxiety – While there are numerous benefits to sleep dentistry, reducing anxiety is one of the most common. Irrespective of what spectrum your anxiety is manifested, sleep dentistry can help make dental procedures easier to go through.
- No gag reflex – Gag reflex is a major concern during a dental procedure, more so if the treatment is being carried out deeper in the oral cavity. This can become very uncomfortable for the patient and make treatment difficult. Sedation eliminates the chances of gagging altogether, ensuring that the dentist is able to carry out any procedure with ease.
- Painless procedure – While under the influence or a sedative or anaesthesia, pain is not registered by the brain. This not only helps deal with one’s anxiety but also makes the entire treatment painless..
- Quicker treatment – Often, dental procedures are hindered or become inconvenient to carry out due to the patient moving or squirming. This increases the time required to conduct the treatment. On the other hand, sedation dentistry ensures that the patient is in a relaxed state, making the procedure complete quicker and without any hassle.
Sedation or Sleep Dentistry Methods Used at Our Melbourne Clinic
At Casey Smiles, we understand that some patients can feel quite anxious or uncomfortable when it comes to having dental treatment in the chair, so we can offer a few options to help reduce that anxiety for both adults and children.
We can offer patients the following Sleep Dentistry techniques
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation – Nitrous or laughing gas as it is commonly known, is a gas that you breath in throughout your treatment. You are still able to follow instructions, however, this will allow you to relax a little more during your treatment.
- General Anaesthetic – In our clinic, we can offer patients to have their treatment completed under a general anaesthetic. Patients are unconscious for the duration of the procedure. This is done under the supervision of a registered Specialist Anaesthetist, who monitors all patients during the whole procedure in our purpose built clinic.
frequently asked questions
Composite veneers generally last around 5-8 years. What you eat, how you clean, and how you use them play a big part in their longevity. With regular maintenance and care, they can last longer.
If the full surface of the tooth requires coverage with resin, the cost is $750 per tooth. If only a portion of the tooth requires coverage then the fee will be adjusted accordingly. Payment plans are available.
They cannot be whitened with conventional teeth whitening. However, they can be polished and this is recommended at least once a year to keep them smooth and shiny.
Invisalign® is a way of discreetly straightening your teeth. A series of customized plastic trays made of a proprietary material is worn 22 hours a day. Each sequential aligner moves the teeth gently resulting in significant changes at the end of your Invisalign journey.
After completing your Invisalign® treatment, we need to ensure that your perfectly straight teeth do not move. Teeth often want to move back to their original positions, so we provide you with retainers. You need to wear your retainers regularly to preserve your new smile.
Check out our
LATEST NEWS & BLOGS
WHAT OUR Patients SAY ABOUT US
Book An Appointment Today!
Whether you’re seeking a dentist for a general cleaning or are interested in major work and restorations, we’d love to speak with you about your options.
Book An Appointment Today!
Whether you’re seeking a dentist for a general cleaning or are interested in
major work and restorations, we’d love to speak with you about your options.